All About the Solar Panel System
Human life has – and always will be – dotted with amazing feats of ingenuity and adaptability through technological progress. Our innate capacity for understanding and decoding the world around us have allowed us to harness the resources around us to a significantly efficient degree; the Earth’s waters, its lands, its winds, and its exposure to the sun have all been utilized in order to create power for humanity to enjoy.
A standout from the others, solar power has always been an august testament to science’s talents; through photovoltaics we have unlocked the capability to turn the sun’s energy directly into electricity. Know more about how this is done here – it is via solar systems, (particularly those in the Philippines).
Energy from the sun
The sun’s rays are harnessed through solar panels. It is made of photovoltaic cells, which are then made of a sandwich of two pieces of silicon. When the sun’s rays – photons or particles of light – “hit” its surface, it manipulates electrons to leave their atoms, thus generating a flow of electricity.
Function of solar cells
The main purpose of solar cells is to convert the energy of sunlight into electricity. Photovoltaic (PV) is another term used for this. It is derived from “photo”, the Greek word meaning light, and “voltaic” by the Italians meaning electricity. A group of solar cells are called solar modules, and then the bigger portions are called solar panels. Indicated below are two parts of solar cells.
- Inverter – turns the direct current electricity into 120-volt alternating current to connecting to a circuit breaking in the electrical panel. Inverters should be placed on the exterior walls of the home near the sub panels or electrical mains. Inverters produced by the solar electric system shall be consumed by electrical loads currently in operation. During electricity generation from the solar system, the electric utility meter will turn backwards.
- Net meter – can lessen the demand for power from the utility during the generation of electricity by the solar electric system from the utility grid therefore decreasing the utility bill. This type of solar-powered electric system are “on grid” or “battery-less” making up the majority of the solar power systems currently installed.
Solar panel system information
The structure of solar panels contains different systems which adjust according to its distance or location in regards to the sun. The peak hours range around 9 AM until 3 PM where sunlight usually provides the strongest brightness, however, there are also days when the sun is not as present due to weather differences. To combat this, some solar systems are designed with revolving panels.
- Grid-tied solar system – is usually linked with the utility power grid of surfaces that are situated on the grid intertie and are efficiently shared with renewable energies. Equipping a grid-connection will enable you to save financially due to the decreased rates, affordable materials and installation fees, and the net metering which only requires low maintenance. The only requirements for this type of solar system are the Grid-Tie Inverter (GTI) or Micro-Inverters and a Power Meter.
- Grid-Tie Inverter – affordable, low equipment and installation cost, virtual battery
- Micro-Inverter – located on the back of solar panels, expensive, efficient
- Power Meter – can go to two directions (grid to house and vice versa, requires consultation with local utility companies before installing
- Off-grid solar system – used as an alternative for a grid-tied system because they require battery storage and backup generator. Cheaper compared to other power lines and is self-sufficient. The requirements of this solar system are solar charge controllers, battery bank, and an off-grid inverter.
- Hybrid solar systems – the last type of solar system might be considered as the best, combining the other types of solar systems creating a guaranteed efficient solar system. To add to this, it is much cheaper than the previous two. Charge controller, battery bank, battery-based grid-tie inverter, and a power meter are needed for hybrid solar systems.
Now that you know about the general and vital information about the solar panel system, you know have the choice to contribute to the environment by installing one in your homes or businesses!