- Solar PV Introduction: Renewable energy trend (global and local), Solar PV opportunities. PV markets & applications
- Safety Basics: Including PV specific safety hazards, the Philippines Electric Code & OSHA (Occupational Safety & Health Administration)
- Electrical Basics: Electrical circuit components, electrical test equipment, utility systems, testing voltage, current and resistance, measuring Voc, Isc and voltage and current under load
- Solar Energy Fundamentals: Making & reading a sun path diagram, Magnetic vs. true azimuth, PV shading principles, Shade analysis tools (Solmetric, Pathfinder, CAD & common sense), Shading ratios, 9am-3pm solar window & inter-row distribution
- PV Modules: Plotting Voc, Isc, Vmp, Imp and Pmp on the I-V curve, testing current, voltage, power and energy, measuring Irradiance and temperature & the IV curve, PV & battery charging, STC, NOCT, PVUSA, CEC and PTC, Testing PV efficiency (commissioning a module)
- Installing System Components: Turning on PV, inverters, chargers, storage & sources, Testing anti-islanding, installing BOS, Programming power conditioning, Installing PV system components for different PV system types, Small off-grid PV system installation
- Grid Tie, Offgrid, Hybrid, and “Hybrid OffGrid” differences and when to apply each one.
- PV System Materials: Choosing your own PV system – students will try their skills at choosing PV, Inverters, Racking, etc. We will help and critique systems.
- PV System Electrical Installation: Applying the Local Electric Code, Line drawing exercises, Performing PV series & parallel connections for different applications, Choosing and using conductors, ampacity, conductor sizing & OCPD requirements, PV & BOS installation parameters, installing labeling & ground systems. Voltage drop & voltage rise testing, the process of installing a PV system according to code, and Philippine Electric Code – looking for code violations
- PV System Mechanical Installation: Installing Roof, Ground, Pole, Trackers, BIPV, Compare different types of PV integration, Installing for PV temperature and wind variables, Installing roofing & PV, Estimating mechanical loads, Mechanical installation/components, Mechanical installation for thermal, orientation & electrical performance, Installing to manufacturers’ instructions & Local Electric Code
- Performance Analysis, Maintenance, Commissioning & Troubleshooting: Performance problems, Performance monitoring & parameters, Expected versus actual performance, Maintenance, Operation & Management (O&M) safety, Most common system failures, Maintenance planning to manufacturers’ instructions, Dx & treatment of unhealthy PV systems
- Net Metering rules & guidelines, DU Net-Metering application and guide, Grid connection standards and guide
- Hands on PV Installation: Miniature & Flat Roof hands-on exercise
- PV Solar typical harvest expectations, how to calculate Return On Investment, how to calculate and a size a system to the user’s base load
- Fastening PV to roofing systems, covering different types of roofs. Galvanic Corrosion, Finding Rafters, Hangar Bolts/Pull Out Strength Tests, Composition Asphalt, Flat Tile & Barrel Tile Roofs, Methods for Finding Rafters, Drilling Holes, Installing Hangar Bolts, Waterproofing Gaskets, Caulking Tips,
- Inverter Connection Hands on PV with Microinverters, AC modules, and/or String inverters including installation, grounding, and wiring at panelboard / inverter wall & in classroom.
- 120% Rule, Supply Side Connection, Breaker sizing, DC conductor sizing, Grounding Solar PV Parts OEM/Supply,Parts and supply options,Standard compliance
- Equipment Discussion: Transformerless versus Transformer Based Inverters, Differences in Fuse Requirements, Differences in DC Disconnect Requirements, Grounded Conductor Requirements, NEC 2011 Maintenance Disconnect Exception
- Other Considerations: Local rules (LGU, NBCP, PEC, Distribution Code, etc.), Standard practices
- Advanced Topics: Exam preparation, NABCEP Practice Exams, Discussion: Mapping your future, Further study, licensing & certifications
- Final Examination, Grading, & Certificate Presentation
*** We will have time for Q&A with guest speakers. We will have several guest speakers throughout the week with topics ranging from Philippine solar finance to technical Q&A with local electrical contractors, utility company net metering experts, solar farm developers, and equipment (solar panel, racking, and /or inverter) manufacturers.